How we came to be
all that is Light the Sky
My son, Jordan is 10. The day the Sandy Hook tragedy happened he came home from school already well aware and asked to watch the news... I asked that he didn't but he insisted. So, reluctantly, I allowed it. He sat and watched as the details unfolded and was quiet. See, I expected that because this is a little boy who internalizes everything. What I didn't expect was what happened next. He turned to me and said "Mom, is there anything we can do?". Completely floored I said I didn't know... And I didn't.
The next day he and I sat and talked about ideas and then we came up with a small plan. We wanted to release Lanterns in honor of all the fallen Angels. My son's birthday was on he 12th and he purchased a case of sky lanterns with the money he was gifted that day. We then decided to ask friends and family to join us. Since we started we have raised over 1,500 lanterns! The idea has taken on a life of its own. We are trying to make it spectacular!
Our goal is to celebrate the lives all of those lost that horrific day, inspire love and unity, help all of those directly affected begin to heal, and help raise money for 6 AMAZING causes! All of the proceeds from the admission and wrist bands will be evenly divided between the following 4 organizations: The Lion's Club in Newtown to benefit the First Responders, educational scholarships for the youth of future generations through the Victoria Leah Soto Scholarship Fund, the Catherine Violet Hubbard Animal Sanctuary, and The Jesse Lewis Choose Love Foundation.
We will have a table set up at the event where people can "Sponsor a Lantern" and decorate it. All funds raised at this tent will be allocated as follows: 75% will go to the My Sandy Hook Family Fund, which will benefit the 26 families directly. The remaining 25% will go to the Sandy Hook Family Healing Fund which will benefit the 12 surviving students from the 2 classrooms.
We have artists doing everything they can to come perform their amazing tribute songs from all over the country, people donating time, talent and resources. We will have Kiddie Rides, Pony Rides, Food and craft vendors, Inflatables, a rock climbing wall, many Newtown based charities, Shopping and much MUCH more!!!
We never intended for this to grow into what it has but we are honored to be able to orchestrate such a meaningful tribute.